Summer is here in full swing! Isn’t it wonderful to be spending time outside in the sun, enjoying our favourite outdoor activities? Unfortunately, it is while you engage in pool time fun, picnics, outdoor sports and more that your skin sustains damage. Pool chemicals, perspiration and sunburn can cause serious damage, which will not only cause premature ageing, but it will also increase your risk of skin cancer.
Use these methods to protect your skin this summer.
- Treat Your Skin from the Inside Out
Your skin reflects your inner health, which is why it is important to keep healthy on the inside. Poor health manifests in premature aging, acne, dry skin, and bags under the eyes. During summer, we’re all busy with get-togethers, road trips and pool parties, and many of us neglect our health. With too little sleep and a poor diet, the body releases acne-causing hormones. Here’s how to take care of your skin from the inside:
- follow a healthy, balanced diet
- drink plenty filtered water
- exercise regularly
- fight stress with yoga or meditation
- get at least 8 hours of sleep every night
- Care for Your Skin
Healthy skin is all about balance. In order to keep your skin healthy, you need to maintain the skin’s natural balance. Do this by keeping the following in mind:
- avoid excessive use of air-conditioners during summer, as they tend to dry out your skin
- after a day in the sun, apply cooling aloe vera lotions or gels
- book an annual skin care exam to check for any early signs of skin cancer.
- Protect Your Skin
The best way to prevent skin damage is to protect it from the elements. During summer, we’re exposed to sun, chlorine and air conditioners, all of which dry out the skin and cause premature aging. Combat the effects by:
- wearing protective clothing, such as polyester, thin silk and unbleached cotton. These materials can help block UV rays. Dark fabrics will absorb the UV rays, rather than reflecting them back onto the body.
- protecting your skin from pool chemicals. Chlorine has extremely drying properties, but you can prevent it by applying a pre-swim lotion or waterproof sunscreen before you get into the pool and remember to shower off right after you get out of the pool.
Ultimately, sunscreen is your friend all year round. We cannot emphasize it enough: You MUST wear sunscreen. Skin cancer remains the most commonly diagnosed type of cancer and the saddest part is that a great number of cases can be prevented by applying sunscreen of SPF30+ at least twenty minutes before you go outside, especially to the lips, hands and ears.
The Environmental Working Group (EWG.org) releases an annual Guide to Sunscreens. Included in the latest release was a Hall of Shame, of highly popular sunscreens that disrupt hormones and contain harmful chemicals.
One product that met with their approval, was TiZO Age Defying Fusion sunscreen. What is great about TiZO?
- TiZO is a mineral sunscreen that provides a 100% physical block.
- TiZO contains Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide as its main Ingredients. These ingredients have been ranked #1 and #2 for UVA and UVB protection.
- The minerals are pharmaceutical-grade and sit on the surface of the skin. The fact that it is not absorbed, means that it reduces the risk of skin irritations.
- Iron Oxide conceals skin imperfections, eliminates white residues and enhances the skin – it’s the perfect primer for your make-up!
TiZO Age Defying Fusion Sunscreen
The Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide particles in this pure sunscreen creates a uniform layer of coverage on the skin, preventing UVA and UVB rays from reaching your skin. It inhibits premature aging and free radical formation, both factors which lead to fine lines and wrinkles.
TiZO sunscreen contains no parabens, fragrances, and oils. It is formulated using epidermal conditioners that slide onto the skin silky smooth and leaves no white residue, or oily look or feel. TiZO sunscreen can be used on all skin types, including post-facial procedures, including cosmetic surgery, vibradermabrasion, peels and laser treatment. It is also safe for people who have photosensitive skin, psoriasis, eczema and acne.
Bradford Skin Clinic has TiZO as a featured product for you to stock up on this summer. Inquire about this great product today!